Tuesday 5 November 2013

From idea to product. One golden tip.

General musings prompted by a number of very well-meaning requests for info on how I go about making my journals, sourcing materials etc.

These enquiries have taken me right back to how it felt when I first had the idea that I wanted to handprint journal covers too. It can all feel a bit overwhelming - where what when how? You know you want to do it but HOW?!

Apart from the obvious tips about making lists, breaking the task down into achievable goals etc I have one golden tip that I want to share and it's this: pick up the phone.

We all rely on the internet so much these days and feel certain that any question we have can surely be answered by a search on google. I do it myself. Until I get frustated that is. Then I start making phone calls and these are so much more useful...so really my tip is all about concentrated chat.

So for example you want to set up a stationery range then you will want to source papermills and speak to them - they're so friendly, usually small businesses (relatively speaking) and offer the personal touch. They can help you create your dream. What else - well you might need binders - again, ring them up, a lot are family run businesses and will remember your name. Don't be shy of sharing your real budget because then you can have a real conversation.

But it's there - in the conversation - that you will find the answers to your creative frustrations. You may even find that you can improve on your initial idea - I did and have plans for the future based around a relationship I have built up with my suppliers. They get involved, come up with ideas and we chat about them, go away and think then chat some more. I love it and am so glad that I still prefer the phone....sacrilege putting that into words on a blog but it's the truth. ;) 

Pick up the phone - it's good to talk. And good luck with my warmest wishes.


No comments:

Post a Comment